November 18 - 20, 2019
Hyatt Regency Austin, TX
2017 Agenda Day 1
Tuesday November 28th: Hitting A Home Run With Your Marketing Stakeholders
7:30 AM - 8:30 AM Continental Breakfast & Registration (Grand Opening Of The Solutions Zone)
8:55 AM - 9:45 AM KEYNOTE PANEL: Evolution And Disruption Of The Agency Model – Where Do We Go From Here?Jim Wallace, Global Head of Agency Strategy and Management, Hewlett-Packard Inc. Martin Cass, CEO, Assembly Edward McAndrews, Head of Procurement-North America, AstraZeneca Corey O'Brien, Vice President, Aquent Studios
Staying on top of how the agency model is evolving and changing can give you a ‘leg up’ when engaging with your marketing leadership and earn your keep at the negotiation table. Our lively panel of experts from a variety of backgrounds will give you the perspective and guidance to prepare for success.
- Background/historical perspective of agency model
- Agency Disruptors – what are they and what is their impact
- 3 – 5 year prediction on where the industry is headed
Edward McAndrewsHead of Procurement-North America
Corey O'BrienVice President
Jim WallaceGlobal Head of Agency Strategy and Management
9:45 AM - 10:30 AM Interactive Case Study: Stop Thinking Like A Procurement Person!Michael Taylor, Director, Marketing & Sales Procurement, Dr Pepper Snapple Group Deserae Ryan, Director, Strategic Partnerships – Mega Platforms, Intuit Inc.
Tired of seeing marketing teams cringe when they hear “procurement”? To effectively manage a relationship with Marketing, you need to lead with their needs before your own. Learn how the marketing procurement teams at Intuit and Dr Pepper Snapple Group made that leap to provide exceptional value within their organization.
- Mapping your objectives to the marketing organization and overall marketing plan
- Understanding what excites your marketing team (and keeps them up at night)
- Driving innovation within your supplier partnerships
- Putting savings targets in context with value provided to the organization
Michael TaylorDirector, Marketing & Sales Procurement
Dr Pepper Snapple Group
Deserae RyanDirector, Strategic Partnerships – Mega Platforms
10:30 AM - 10:50 AM Maximizing The Value Of Your Marketing SpendPetros Paranikas, Partner and Managing Director, The Boston Consulting Group Harish Hemmige, Partner, Boston Consulting Group
10:50 AM - 11:30 AM Morning Refreshment & Networking Break In The Solutions Zone
11:30 AM - 11:50 AM Case Study: Surface Plus: A Case Study In Partnering With Stakeholders In A Product LaunchJessica Mercuriali, Senior Manager, Windows and Devices Marketing, Microsoft Terri Bowers, Senior Group Procurement Manager, Sales Marketing Consumer & Commercial, Microsoft Corporation
Looking to springboard your relationship with your stakeholders from a traditional sourcing event/RFP process to an embedded project management role? Here directly from both the Marketing and Marketing Procurement team of Microsoft to hear how they did this and how you can too. This interactive presentation will show you how to:
- Determine stakeholder expectations and responsibilities
- Expand your traditional procurement role with your marketing stakeholders
- Partner with your marketing team to deliver results
Jessica MercurialiSenior Manager, Windows and Devices Marketing
Terri BowersSenior Group Procurement Manager, Sales Marketing Consumer & Commercial
11:50 AM - 12:10 PM Marketing Measurement in the Digital EraJon Webb, Managing Partner, Gain Theory
While marketing keeps inventing new ways of getting in touch with potential customers, marketing effectiveness also needs to constantly evolve to keep pace. So what’s the best measurement strategy in the digital era?
Jon Webb will share the latest tools available to help marketers understand marketing investment allocation across multiple channels, but also how they impact ROI both tactically and strategically. He’ll provide thought leadership surrounding:
- How marketing measurement is no longer limited to understanding the overall performance of each channel
- Digital Attribution, and other granular techniques, that allow for results that are much more responsive
- Why Digital Attribution and MMM approaches shouldn’t sit in silos
Jon WebbManaging Partner
12:10 PM - 12:30 PM How To Redevelop Agency Performance Reviews To Achieve A True 360° Perspective That Gives Your Business TransparencyLarry Smith, Strategic Sourcing Director, Global Commercial Marketing and Sales Team, Mars
Feeling shut out of the agency performance review process or don’t even know where to start? The complexities, politics, and nature of determining agency success can be daunting and are not for the faint of heart. Learn from a leading professional what proven techniques are out there as to developing and executing a successful performance review process that can immediately add value in your organization.
- What should marketing procurement’s level of involvement be as part of an ongoing interaction with agencies?
- What new formats can be used to improve response times and agency receptiveness?
- How do you find the optimum balance to measure performance without negatively impacting relationships and trust?
- Making sense of the data: how best to utilize 360° scorecards to examine media performance, contract compliance and financial transparency to meet business objectives
Larry SmithStrategic Sourcing Director, Global Commercial Marketing and Sales Team
12:30 PM - 12:50 PM Advertising Everywhere Is Necessary. Some Of The Costs Are Not.Melinda McLaughlin, Chief Marketing Officer, Extreme Reach
The best media strategies today are screen agnostic and audience-centric. And yet, actually activating a single ad campaign across both linear TV and digital video is mired in broken workflow that is manual, error prone and costly. Multiple agencies are often involved and countless vendors have a hand in the process.
Understand the breakdown (spoiler alert: it happens when the video team needs to source the ads—the creative assets—themselves) and see the entirely new and easy way to increase speed to market, avoid hidden costs and eliminate the risk of being out of compliance with Talent & Rights contracts. Immediate benefits include savings, speed, vendor reduction, the elimination of video duplication and reformatting costs, increased collaboration and assured continuity through team changes.
Melinda McLaughlinChief Marketing Officer
Track A: New To The Game
This track is for rookies new to the profession looking to strengthen their fundamentals so that they can hit home runs with their marketing stakeholders. However all are welcome to brush up on their skills!
New To The Game
1:50 PM - 2:30 PM Workshop: Preparing For The Major Leagues In Marketing ProcurementMichelle Trout, Indirect Procurement Director, Brinker International, Inc. Pauline Olson, Senior Purchasing Manager, Brinker International
Feel blinded by the big city lights and terminology associated with the marketing category? If you’ve been recently elevated to the majors (i.e., assigned the marketing category) this session will give you the hard and soft skills needed to be a member of the team!
Key discussion points include:
- Outlining the different marketing channels (traditional marketing, media, advertising, digital, social media and mobile), their supply partners and types of engagements
- Understanding the role of the various primary stakeholders in a marketing engagement (marketing, procurement and agency) and the expectations of each
- Where are the big nuggets of opportunity – as you first enter the marketing category and as your involvement matures?
- Buying “things” vs. buying services- is procurement comfortable with gray?
Michelle TroutIndirect Procurement Director
Brinker International, Inc.
Pauline OlsonSenior Purchasing Manager
New To The Game
2:30 PM - 3:10 PM Panel: Ask The Veterans: Learning From The Masters Of Marketing ProcurementJohn Hardy, Enterprise Marketing Sourcing, The Walt Disney Company (formerly) Stacy Joslin, Global Supplier Value Optimization and Marketing Procurement Lead, Citrix Robert Sarasua, Director, Marketing Procurement, Luxottica Retail George Giassopoulos, Senior Director, Global Media & Marketing Agencies – Global Procurement, Pfizer
Establishing a new marketing procurement function? New to marketing procurement? Have burning questions on your mind that you’re afraid to ask your marketing team? Learn from this cross-functional set of veterans who will keep you in ‘fair ball’ territory. Key themes expected to be covered include:
- How to (and how not to) engage with marketing teams
- Quick Wins vs. Long Term Success
- What I wish I had known when starting off
The last 10 minutes of the panel will be reserved for your Q&A – all questions encouraged!
John HardyEnterprise Marketing Sourcing
The Walt Disney Company (formerly)
Stacy JoslinGlobal Supplier Value Optimization and Marketing Procurement Lead
Robert SarasuaDirector, Marketing Procurement
George GiassopoulosSenior Director, Global Media & Marketing Agencies – Global Procurement
New To The Game
3:10 PM - 3:30 PM Confronting the Elephant in the RoomHenrik Johansson, CEO & Co-Founder, Boundless
The marketing landscape is constantly evolving and marketers need to stay current and drive innovation. Marketers need to ensure their brand stays relevant giving procurement teams a unique opportunity to partner with marketing to increase collaboration.
Join Boundless CEO, Henrik Johansson, as he confronts the elephant in the room and discusses 3 key trends in marketing all procurement professionals should be aware of. Henrik will also explore strategies to help plan for these trends which will help strengthen relationships and bridge the gap between marketing and procurement teams.
Henrik JohanssonCEO & Co-Founder
New To The Game
3:30 PM - 3:50 PM Interactive Presentation: How To Structure Agency Contracts To Achieve A Home RunMelissa Gerlach, Category Manager, Marketing & eCommerce Procurement, Grainger
Agency contracts come with their own set of unique nuances and challenges. This session will give you the batting practice needed to hit it out of the park in negotiations. Key questions expected to be addressed include:
- In an era of increased transparency needs on media spend, how can you ensure your agency contracts are properly structured to address the level of detail needed?
- How can you open up the dialogue with your agencies to have a clearer understanding of the agency financial model and reflect key objectives in your contract?
- Is there a consensus on what’s fair game? How to balance the conflicting needs of agencies and clients on best price and transparency
Melissa GerlachCategory Manager, Marketing & eCommerce Procurement
Track B: Experienced Pros
Know the basics but looking to elevate your swing to the next level? This track will give you the skills you need to hit those curveballs out of the park!
1:50 PM - 2:30 PM Interactive Case Study: Transitioning from Hourly Rate to Deliverable Based: the Journey Begins…Alessandra Scocco, Senior Strategic Sourcing Manager, Google Becca Miller, Strategic Sourcing Manager, Google
Learn how Google transformed how they managed their marketing suppliers into a deliverable-based model. This session will give you the techniques needed to assess, plan and implement a similar program at your organization. Alessandra and Becca will talk you through how they:
- Identified the benefits for the transition and how it was sold to marketing leadership
- Approached the design of the new model
- Made this model valuable for both the business and their agencies
Alessandra ScoccoSenior Strategic Sourcing Manager
Becca MillerStrategic Sourcing Manager
2:30 PM - 3:10 PM Workshop: Making Marketing Technology Work For YouKim Johnson, Senior Vice President, Corporate Functions Strategic Sourcing Lead, SunTrust Banks Inc
Feeling overwhelmed with the options out there for Marketing Technology? Trying to separate fact from fiction? This engaging session will demonstrate how SunTrust approaches marketing technology, providing you tangible takeaways you can apply in your organization. This enlightening workshop will enable you to:
- Assess where your marketing organization stands as it relates to marketing technology
- Have a meaningful post-conference dialogue with your marketing team regarding technology
- Have an advantage when entering negotiations with marketing technology suppliers
Kim JohnsonSenior Vice President, Corporate Functions Strategic Sourcing Lead
SunTrust Banks Inc
3:10 PM - 3:30 PM Playbook For Digital Marketing: What Procurement Should Have On The RadarPaul Price, Group CEO, Industrial Color Studios
As new technologies continue to reshape the marketing model, a playbook that helps identify the essentials is called for. This session will enable procurement and it's marketing partners to prioritize for the most important new technologies for digital commerce.
3:30 PM - 3:50 PM Global Marketing Partnerships: Trials and Tribulations of Asia-Pacific Agency ManagementSkip Lorimer, Lead Sourcing Manager for Global Marketing Services, Amway Corporation
Looking to expand your league to Asia Pacific? This critical session will help you prepare for such an endeavor. Having sourced agencies in Korea, Japan, and Southeast Asia, Skip will provide a lively presentation regarding related lessons learned and best practices.
- Challenges with compensation agreements
- Negotiation best practices
- Conference calls in the middle of the night
- And more! Learn what you should and should not do.
Skip LorimerLead Sourcing Manager for Global Marketing Services
Track C: Coach’s Corner
Looking for ways to motivate your team and reach the World Series? This track is designed for leaders looking to drive their team to excellence.
(Attendance limited to 25 Practitioners)
1:50 PM - 3:30 PM Executive Boardroom: Leading The Marketing Category
As a well seasoned leader with executive oversight of marketing procurement, you’ll have the opportunity to huddle with your peers to identify and share best practices surrounding:
- Managing C-level expectations
- Balancing needs to report savings vs value
- Staff evaluation and development
3:30 PM - 3:50 PM Executive Boardroom: Free FlowMichael Takyi, Category Lead, Mondelez International (Formerly)
Mix and mingle during this open session for free flow discussion and conversation among CPOs/Heads of Indirect.
Michael TakyiCategory Lead
Mondelez International (Formerly)
3:50 PM - 4:30 PM Afternoon Refreshment & Networking Break In The Solutions Zone
4:30 PM - 5:10 PM PANEL: Marketing Procurement – An Agency’s PerspectiveJ. Francisco Escobar, President, JFE International Consultants, Inc. Eric Samuelson, Strategic Sourcing Director, Czarnowski Exhibit Services Frank DeRosa, Senior Vice President, Client Sourcing And Optimization, Weber Shandwick Brett Colbert, Chief Procurement Officer, MDC Partners Amy Romero, CMO, CreativeDrive , ,
For any negotiation to be successful, both sides need to have an understanding of each others’ motivations and needs. This panel will equip you with insights on what it’s like to work on both sides of the fence.
- Learn from individuals who have made the transition from the client side to the agency side.
- Perspectives regarding how best practices in Marketing Procurement have evolved as they navigate sourcing and being sourced from the other side of the fence
- Perspectives on the future of the relationship between Marketing Procurement and agencies.
J. Francisco EscobarPresident
JFE International Consultants, Inc.
Eric SamuelsonStrategic Sourcing Director
Czarnowski Exhibit Services
Frank DeRosaSenior Vice President, Client Sourcing And Optimization
Brett ColbertChief Procurement Officer
5:10 PM - 5:50 PM Interactive RoundtablesBill Matthews, Global Senior Category Manager, Marketing Procurement, Edgewell Personal Care Crystal Khalil, Senior Manager, Procurement, Porsche Cars North America, Inc. Petros Paranikas, Partner and Managing Director, The Boston Consulting Group Henrik Johansson, CEO & Co-Founder, Boundless Jon Webb, Managing Partner, Gain Theory Paul Price, Group CEO, Industrial Color Studios Brady Watkins, Vice President, Digital Solutions, InnerWorkings Melinda McLaughlin, Chief Marketing Officer, Extreme Reach
These interactive roundtable sessions take a deep dive into the specific areas you came to learn about. Sit and learn in an intimate format from the speakers who have had an impact on their company and industry. Take control of your own event experience and don’t be shy! Ask questions (or answer them!) alongside other conference attendees who are dealing with the same challenges as you network with industry peers with very similar challenges, interests and responsibilities.
1. Supplier Diversity
Bill Matthews, Global Senior Category Manager, Marketing Procurement, Edgewell Personal Care
2. Stakeholder Engagement
Crystal Khalil, Senior Manager, Procurement, Porsche Cars North America
3. Advertising Everywhere Is Necessary. Some Of The Costs Are Not.
Melinda McLaughlin, Chief Marketing Officer, Extreme Reach
4. Maximizing The Value Of Your Marketing Spend
Petros Paranikas, Senior Partner & Managing Director; Boston Consulting Group
5. Confronting the Elephant in the Room
Henrik Johansson, Chief Executive Officer, Boundless
6. Marketing Measurement in the Digital Era
Jon Webb, Managing Partner, Gain Theory
7. In-House, Outsourced, or Hybrid: Best Option Planning
Paul Price, Group CEO, Industrial Color Studios
8. Enhancing The Customer Journey, Preparing Your Marketing Supply Chain For Technology 3.0
Brady Watkins, Vice President, Digital Solutions, InnerWorkings
Bill MatthewsGlobal Senior Category Manager, Marketing Procurement
Edgewell Personal Care
Crystal KhalilSenior Manager, Procurement
Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
Petros ParanikasPartner and Managing Director
The Boston Consulting Group
Henrik JohanssonCEO & Co-Founder
Jon WebbManaging Partner
Brady WatkinsVice President, Digital Solutions
Melinda McLaughlinChief Marketing Officer